Echoes of Prophecy

Crown of the Kobold King - Part 1

After freeing Nigel Aldain and the other denizens of the Dezina Museum of Antiquities, the party went in search of a healer to cure Illiyana’s affliction. The high priest at Illiyana’s temple managed to heal her, but her physical appearance would take time to revert to normal. The following morning (8 Vult), the party returned to Blackwheel Company Headquarters to report on the outcome of their mission. As the party was leaving the Blackwheel Company, they saw a large airship flying the Karrnathi flag docking with the House Lyrandar enclave. The party spent the next few days working and taking care of personal business. Kryle made plans for his renovations of Fortune’s Gate, Reborn met with Armaans, and Brandis met with both Dala Arand and Ben Gareth, one of the Blackwheel Company’s prophecy scholars.

Early on the morning of 13 Vult, Citadel agents arrived at Fortune’s Gate and informed the party that they had orders to take them to Citadel Headquarters. They also told the party that they should bring supplies with them for an extended journey in the wild. When the party arrived at Citadel Headquarters, they found that security was tighter than usual. They were met by Lt. Nixon, who sequestered them and told them that they would be ushered into a conference room shortly. When they approach the conference room, they see a large warforged dressed in the livery of the King’s Shields by the door. In the conference room, they find Lt. Nixon, Col. Yusef Karlach, Capt. D’Deneith, and a shadowy figure by the fire. The warforged King’s Shield follows the party into the room. At this point, Lt. Nixon announces the presence of the King of Breland, Boranel, who rises from his seat by the fire.

King Boranel explains why the party has been summoned. His youngest children, Halix and Borina, had returned to Breland from their liaison duties in Karrnath to celebrate their birthday. As a part of the festivities, the twins had decided to take a short hunting trip in the King’s Forest. They were accompanied by Haydith, the sister of King Kaius III, who was serving as a liaison in the Brelish Court. The three royal teenagers were being protected by Tyran Smyth, one of the King’s Shields, and his iron defender. The royal teenagers and their escort were overdue, and the rings that heirs wore as scrying foci all showed the same scene and were immobile. Regardless of the outcome, King Boranel wanted to try to keep this incident out of the public eye or at least control the spin. To that end, he involved Col. Karlach (the Karrnathi military liaison in Wroat) and Lt. Nixon in the mission planning. Both men recommended that the party perform the mission, based on their performance during the necromantic plague and their reputation for discretion. King Boranel called in a favor with the Blackwheel Company to secure the party’s services. Desperate to find his children and avoid an international incident with Karrnath, King Boranel requested that the party search the woods and deal with any nefarious elements that might be involved.

After accepting the mission, the party travelled by magebred horse to the edge of the King’s Forest, following the planned route of the Brelish and Karrnathi heirs. Once in the forest, Brandis used his skills to track the heirs through the forest. Late that day, the party found the heirs’ camp but decided not to search it until they had the light of day. The party camped for the night and then rose early to search the heirs’ camp. The party found signs of struggle. The rings that the Citadel used to track the heirs were all found in the camp’s fire pit, along with other jewelry. Kryle and Brandis both found kobold scales around the camp, but Kryle was unable to determine if they belonged to iredar or irvhir kobolds. Brandis was able to pick up the kobolds’ trail and determined that they were accompanied by four medium humanoids. For the remainder of the day, the party followed the kobolds’ trail. The trail followed a ruined road of Dhakaani construction. As the sun was setting, the road began to climb into some rolling hills.

After camping for the night, the party continued following the ruined road into the hills. Shortly, the road crested a ridge. The road continued along the ridge before descending into a valley. The valley was lush and overgrown and divided by a stream that emptied into a medium-sized lake. At the far end of the valley, there were walled ruins that appeared to be of Dhakaani construction. The party decided to continue following the road. As they entered the valley, Brandis and Kryle stealthily advanced towards the bridge over the stream, while Reborn and Illiyana waited in the rear. Once the bridge had been cleared, Reborn and Illiyana followed Brandis and Kryle. Brandis and Kryle advanced again, reaching a bend in the road from which they could gain a better view into the walled ruins. Not seeing any obvious surveillance or guards, Kryle advanced to the walls, while Brandis waited for Reborn and Illiyana. Kryle surveyed the ruins; a courtyard separated the wall from the main ruins, which were built into the hillside. The words “Temple of the True Name” were engraved in draconic, goblin, and orc on the lintel above the main entrance to the ruins. Kryle saw movement inside the main entrance of the ruins but couldn’t make out who or what was moving.

Kryle climbed the wall and then glided across the courtyard, landing on the ledge above main entrance. He peeked in the entrance and saw four kobold warriors standing watch over two kobold prisoners. Sampling the air, Kryle detected the scent of both iredar and irvhir kobolds within the ruins. Judging by the circumstances, it was obvious that the prisoners were from Kryle’s tribe. Kryle leapt down and began attacking the four elite irvhir warriors in an attempt to free his tribesmen. Seeing Kryle strike, the other party members began running towards the main entrance to the ruins. Two of the irvhir kobolds drew slings and began attacking the advancing party members, while Kryle engaged the other two irvhir in melee combat. The party made short work of the four irvhir and freed Kryle’s tribesmen, Kibbo and Jarrdreg. The party saw that Kibbo and Jarrdreg had been set to work breaking up a large obsidian obelisk in the center of the entrance hall. The obelisk was covered with a frieze of three large dragons, two of which are engaged in mortal combat. The walls of the entry hall were inscribed with words in draconic, goblin, and orc; the party decided to return to the hall later to study the inscriptions. The entry hall had passages to the east, north, and west.

Kryle asked Kibbo and Jarrdreg about the strength of the irvhir forces. He also asked whether or not they had seen any humans being held by the irvhir. Kryle’s tribesmen estimated the strength of the irvhir at about 30 or 40 adults. They indicated that the irvhir were being led by a self-styled king of the kobolds. The power behind the throne, however, was an odd kobold prophet who seemed obsessed with the strange writings in the Temple of the True Name. Kibbo and Jarrdreg indicated that the kobold warrens could be found by following the passage to the east.

Following the kobolds’ directions, the party headed down the passage to the east. They passed through a large room with a pool of molten rock in its center. A doorway to the north opened into a passage that continued north and also branched off to the west. The party continued north and arrived at a large pair of open, metal doors. Beyond the doors was a circular chamber with an ornate pillar running from floor to ceiling. The pillar was made or stone encrusted with a strange mineral and banded at points along its length with mithril and adamantine. The chamber had exits to the north and to the west, each with a pair of large, metal doors. The doors to the north opened out into another passage, while the doors to the west were closed.

Brandis, Kryle, and Illiyana cautiously entered the chamber, leaving Reborn just outside the open doors. Suddenly, the pillar in the center of the room crackled with electricity, which arced out towards the party. The doors to the north and south swung shut, separating Reborn from the rest of the party, and the doors to the west swung open. The party members in the chamber felt a sudden pull towards the pillar, and Illiyana was dragged towards it and became stuck. Kryle struggled to keep his weapons from being pulled from his hands and managed to do so. The doorway to the west opened into a small room. Kryle and Brandis figured that the mechanism to disable the trap might be in the small room, so they went to take a look. As Kryle approached the small room, he was attacked by a gelatinous cube that had been held in the room. Brandis and Kryle attacked the cube, trying to get it away from the small room and protect Illiyana, who was still stuck to the pillar. Brandis managed to make it into the small room but didn’t find any visible release mechanism. Meanwhile, Reborn was trying to knock the doors open from the outside. After a few tense moments, Illiyana was able to wrench herself free, and the party dispatched the gelatinous cube. After the battle, Kryle study the small side chamber and the pillar and discovered that the trap could be released by another jolt of electricity. Since no one in the circular chamber had the means to generate electricity, the party tried to force the southern doors open with Reborn’s help. After a few unsuccessful attempts, the trap automatically reset itself, opening the doors. Not wanting to spring the trap again, Kryle studied the chamber and determined that there was a safe path to cross the room. The party followed the path and headed through the northern doors into another short passage.

After being surprised by the trap, the party cautiously headed down the short passage towards a set of closed, double doors. Kryle checked the doors for traps. Finding nothing amiss and the doors unlocked, the party proceeded into the room beyond. The room appeared to have been used for meditation, with moldering mats spread across the floor and rolled up along the walls. A doorway to the north opened into another room; above the doorway were the words “Chamber of the True Name” in draconic, goblin, and orc. In the next room, there was a large opening in the floor that appeared to have been a set of ruined, circular stairs descending into the darkness. The kobolds had apparently built a crude elevator to move between the Temple of the True Name and their warrens below. After examining the elevator, Brandis and Reborn determined that the elevator would not be able to accommodate the whole party’s weight. Therefore, the party descended the elevator in shifts.

The elevator descended into a large natural cavern. Prophecy marks covered the walls and floor of the cavern. The party decided to return to cavern after dealing with the kobolds to study the prophecy. After a few minutes of searching, the party found a narrow break in the wall that led into an even narrower tunnel. Kryle was able to enter the tunnel was ease, but everyone else had to squeeze into the space. The tunnel opened up to a height of about sixteen feet with ledges on both sides of the tunnel at a height of eight feet. The party was ambushed by four kobolds (Dark Talons) hiding on the ledges. After a grueling battle, the party managed to kill the kobolds. The party advanced into a winding tunnel that led to a small cavern with three wide tunnels (heading east, north and west) and three narrow tunnels (heading northwest, southeast, and northeast). Sensing another ambush, Kryle snuck down the nearest narrow tunnel and found another of the Dark Talons lying in wait. He surprised his enemy and attacked the Dark Talon. In the main chamber, two kobolds carrying spears (Bloodscales) emerged from the western passage and advanced on the party. Two additional Dark Talons emerged from the other narrow tunnels. The battle was savage but brief and ended in the party’s favor. The party discussed which path to follow before heading north.

The tunnel north branched, with one branch continuing north and the other heading east. The party continued north and the tunnel widened a bit. Suddenly, some strange fungi growing on the walls of the tunnel began shrieking. Amid the ear-piercing shrieks, the party heard the sound of movement and raised voices in draconic ahead. Shortly, a lone kobold appeared in the tunnel ahead of the party and then turned tail and ran. The party followed the kobold, and the tunnel opened into a very large cavern that appeared to be the kobolds’ main living quarters. The party was immediately attacked by eight common kobold warriors and two Bloodscales. Initially, the party began wading through the common kobold warriors, making short work of them. Unfortunately, the tide of battle started to turn when some more common kobold warriors poured out of the tunnel behind the party. The common kobold warriors swarmed the party, while the Bloodscales used their superior skills to harry them. However, the kobolds’ rally was brief, and the party eventually slaughtered their enemies.


Excellent recap.

Crown of the Kobold King - Part 1

Let’s not forget about the single kabold that escaped down the path in which we entered the room. I’m thinking he might be important later on.

Crown of the Kobold King - Part 1

If you are referring to the one that Illyanna scared off, his remains were being eaten by some of Kryle’s tribesmen.

Crown of the Kobold King - Part 1

Oppps! Never mind! Wrong post for the wrong recap!!

Crown of the Kobold King - Part 1

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.